Sign-up to lead a peer support group.
Supporting Patients & Families
- Peer support groups are community-based groups throughout Canada, that offer peer support for adults living with PANS PANDAS, as well, families supporting children with PANS PANDAS.
- IBA’s support program is run by volunteers with lived experience. Our peer supporters are passionate and want to help others by sharing their experiences to empower and provide hope to others.
- The key role of a peer supporter is to facilitate peer support to adult patients or families in their local community by offering emotional support, and education related to challenges and support with system navigation.
- Having local community groups ensures a link to local medical and mental health services and resources.
3 Reasons for Leading a Peer Support Group
Provide Peer Support
- Organize and run peer support groups virtually and in their community.
- For many groups this is facilitated through a quarterly meeting.
- Providing support through shared experience is at the heart of IBA, and is a key support to the community.
- Medical and mental health services can be fragmented and frustrating for parents and caregivers to navigate. Our peer support groups help families with their journey.
Facilitate Educational Opportunities
- May facilitate opportunities for learning and development. These opportunities may range from guest speakers to workshops, or the sharing of information from local service providers.
- Consult with families to identify their needs and interests and organize the group accordingly.
Affect Change in the System
- Play a pivotal role in affecting change in the medical and mental health system by lifting up patient and family voices about the challenges they encountered on their journey.
- May sit on patient/family advisory committees, education advisory committees, and be advisors for PANS PANDAS research studies.
- Many peer supporters realize their unique role to not only share their perspective on system improvement, but to also bring the family voice.